About Our Company
Based in Ann Arbor, Michigan, we’re a startup company that delivers faculty position-management solutions for schools in higher education institutions. Initially focused on the extensive needs of academic hospitals and medical schools, we’ve expanded to serve various types of schools. SmartPathTM automates the traditionally labor- and paper-intensive processes of onboarding, appointing, evaluating, and promoting faculty. Its flexible, data-driven architecture enables customers to optimize workflows to fit their school’s unique needs.
Want to join our dynamic and growing team? Email us at info@GoMountainPass.com to inquire about our available positions and career opportunities!
Full-Stack Software Engineer
We’re looking for a full-stack software engineer to take on a pivotal role on our small team. As a startup, we offer a unique opportunity to get in on the ground floor. What we lack in rigid structure we make up for in creative opportunity. We’re looking for someone who thrives in an environment of innovative problem solving, shifting priorities, and broad responsibilities as opposed to the highly structured work culture in more established organizations. We value curiosity, diversity, agility, creativity, and humor. If you’re a self-directed engineer who’s interested in an expansive role and who’s comfortable sharing what you know and learning what you don’t, we welcome your application.
In this role, you will:
- Collaborate closely with our small team of technology, implementation, and sales professionals to develop and advance our solutions and to serve existing customers
- Approach software holistically by catering to both user experience (building engaging and intuitive front ends) and functionality (developing scalable, reusable, and data-driven databases and applications)
- Under the guidance of the Director of Engineering will have ownership of and accountability for the overall architecture and success of the SmartPath platform
- Actively participate in all stages of the software development lifecycle, including: planning, analyzing, designing, implementing, deploying, and maintaining
- Take full ownership of your projects from design through maintenance
- Test, troubleshoot, and address issues, including those in the existing code base
- Develop effective APIs to enable customers to integrate SmartPath data with their internal or third-party solutions
- Research new technologies as required to meet user needs and to advance our solutions
About You: You’re a good fit for this role if you:
- Have a passion for creative problem solving
- Have a knack for visual design and intuitive, user-centric front ends
- Are self-motivated, self-directed, and committed to taking full ownership of your projects
- Can embrace change and ambiguity and can creatively pivot as needed
- Are committed to ensuring that non-functional requirements (e.g., security, performance, scalability, reusability, and maintainability) are considered when architecting and coding solutions
- Are as eager to share your expertise with colleagues as you are to learn from them
- Can engage with non-technical colleagues to effectively flesh out ill-defined requests or issues and to assess feasibility and scope
- Are committed to trying new approaches and contributing innovative solutions
- Are self-aware enough to know when you need more direction and willing to ask for it
- Have a BS in Computer Science or 3 years equivalent experience
Work schedule: This is a full-time position with flexible working hours (within reason). You’ll need to be able to work from your own home. Ability to commute to Ann Arbor is a plus but not a requirement.
- Knowledge of back-end languages (Python or an equivalent object-oriented language)
- Experience with databases (PostgreSQL or MySQL) and web servers (Nginx)
- Experience working with Unix/Linux operating systems
- Experience using and developing RESTful web services
We value diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. Thus, we seek talented, qualified employees regardless of race, color, sex/gender (including pregnancy), gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, veteran status, or any other protected classification. Mountain Pass is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer.